Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Life in Pictures

My picture editing software isn't loading, so I wasn't able to reduce picture quality so these photos could upload faster, sorry. At least I was patient enough to upload them to my blog.

Did you know today is official, "Lean on your mom's back and cuddle her hair while she is trying to type on the computer day"? I guess you learn something new everyday.

It's also "play with the computer while mom makes lunch and puts dinner in the slow cooker" hour. This is all that made it to the blog:

BBBBBM N/N LNK N NNNNNN0NNN
. 3
(I don't know how she link it to the pictures).

I found these pictures and my camera. Upon questioning I was told that this was for a Valentine that didn't happed. I thought it would be a good opportunity for you all to see the family resemblance.

Sorry I couldn't get them side by side for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have read on a few blogs that March is craft month, so it's fitting that I finally finished the Blake Family's Christmas presents and mailed them off. I thought I'd share the 3 blankets that were created with similar fabrics.

But first, Brien's family exchanges cousin gifts. This was the blanket that "Zarina" made for her cousin, K. I realized I never took picture of the full blanket laid out, but it was 3 different squares laid out in a checkerboard pattern. I realized with this blanket that I have trouble with making things square. But it's the thought that counts right? And this blanket was completed on time.

My family exchanges gifts by family for Christmas. Lacey told me that I could just get a present for her girls and not worry about the grown-ups. We were in Utah at Thanksgiving and shopped the Black Friday sale at Joann's. I fell in love with the dark pink, it's name is sundrenched butterfly flowers, I want to go back and buy more of it for future projects. It has butterflies and flowers drawn in white and the dark pink isn't a solid shade, there are lighter and darker patches of pink. Did I mention I love it? (When finding it on-line I was thrilled to see that it came in other colors too.) The colors came out a bit funny in the pictures, but you get the idea. All 3 blankets were fun and girlie.
Lilah's quilt front and back.
~~~~~~~Eden's quilt front and back.

I can't remember the dimensions for K's blanket, but the Blake quilts were about 48 inches square. I machine quilted all of them. I'm not able to/do not have the tools for fancy quilting, so straight lines where the only option. K's lines were squampus(sp?), and Eden's had lots of puckers and folds. Lilah's came together almost perfectly.

What I learned: Binding a quilt is so much easier and than I thought it would be. The Blake quilts sat for a few weeks waiting for their binding because I was scared of messing them up. I didn't hand-stitch the binding at all, it was done completely with the machine, following instructions that I found on-line. The hardest part was sewing the binding strips on the diagonal into one long straight strip. I also decided that I prefer machine quilting when I don't have a sashing around the sides to worry about.

Zarina tossed her shoes on and joined us outside for the blanket photo shoot.

I have lots of scraps leftover from these blankets, so I hope to make one for Z with these fabrics (after I finish the 2 other projects for her that I'm working on).

~~~~~~~~~~~

We participated in the Disney "give a day, get a Disney day" service program. There weren't many options in the Ely area. We chose a "project Linus" project. These are the tied quilts that we made and sent off.


I figure we spent about $20-$25 total on the blankets and shipping. We'll be receiving 2 tickets, so it's a savings of about $120 on 1-day park passes. We have our hotel room reserved and will be experiencing the magic kingdom with Zarina in May. My parents and some of my siblings (all with free tickets) will also be coming along, so it should be a fun little family outing.

With all the blanket making Zarina will say that any blanket is "for my cousins."
~~~~~~~~~~~~
When entering La Fiesta a few weeks ago we noticed this flier advertising senior portraits.

Okay, no big deal. We then saw this picture on the flier:

Yeah, that would be a pregnant girl, on a flier for high school senior portraits!

We were confused at first, until we looked closer and realized it was a separate page offering other photo services, like family portraits, or in this case, pregnancy photos. It was just a little misunderstanding, but it made us wonder what a crazy world we could be living in.

(I figured out there was a giant smudge on my camera lens that was affecting my picture quality).

4 comments:

Lacey said...

The girls love the blankets and I plan to put pictures up of the opening them...sometime...hopefully soon. They sleep with them at night and love them.

We are also so stinken excited to go to California. We might actually go up Saturday, after my rehearsal, so we can spend Sunday at the beach, and then visit a National Park or two on our way home, just in time for my rehearsal on Wednesday night. (I'm crossing my fingers that Jon will be able to get the time off.)

Yay for free tickets!

Mary said...

You are becoming quite the quilter! They are beautiful...

Mary said...

O, and I really want to know what the Valentines day surprise was supposed to be...don't you!

andrea said...

I agree with you Mary. Those pictures make me curious if he had something specific in mind, or if it was all just for kicks and giggles. I especially like that they both have blue shirts on, it adds to the identical-ness of the snapshots.